Vision, Philosophy, and Guiding Principles:
Youth partnering with community for social justice and health represents the vision for The SPOT. True to this vision, The SPOT welcomes ALL youth (13-24) and responds to their particular needs through a comprehensive model of health and social services.
At the SPOT youth can
- access health and prevention services;
- strive for positive educational and vocational outcomes;
- have a voice and influence in their communities through leadership opportunities.
Our philosophy requires that the SPOT be structured around the following guiding principles:
- remove barriers that currently impede youth from seeking or obtaining health and prevention services;
- create a center separate from a child or adult clinic environment that is youth-specific;
- combine needed health and social services into a single setting;
- engage youth in all aspects of the program development and allow opportunities for their leadership to be fostered;
- successfully link youth into the existing healthcare system by addressing and eliminating specific barriers.